Dr. Zarina A. Giannone is a Registered Psychologist in British Columbia (#2613) and is a Mental Performance Consultant. She completed her PhD at the University of British Columbia in beautiful Vancouver, Canada. She holds a specialty practice in sport and performance psychology and enjoys working with passionate, driven, and achievement-oriented individuals and teams. Dr. Giannone is a former high-performance soccer player whose experiences in sport have shaped her therapeutic work. She utilizes an action-based and collaborative approach that helps clients embrace their strengths and identify solutions to complex life circumstances. She is deeply committed to helping people achieve their goals, conquer their fears, and reach their full potential.
Dr. Giannone believes that every person deserves to be seen, heard, and valued. She seeks to create a climate of trust and safety, where she can join with clients to foster lasting change and healing. Dr. Giannone values principles of cultural humility and is experienced working with people from different walks of life and cultures, including LGBTQ2+ persons and those with diverse abilities and characteristics. She has completed specialized training in sport and performance psychology that focuses on skills development and excellence in high pressure, performance contexts such as sport, school, performing arts, business, military, and emergency medicine. All treatments that she provides are evidence-based and draw upon the latest scientific research.
Dr Giannone provides treatment and consultation for adolescents and adults in the following areas:
- Generalized and social anxiety
- Depression and mood regulation
- Stress and adjustment
- Identity and self-esteem
- Relationship and interpersonal concerns
- Workplace conflict and academic challenges
- Sport psychology and performance enhancement
Dr Giannone also conducts the following assessments with adolescents and adults:
- Psychodiagnostic assessments (e.g. depression, anxiety, PTSD)
- Psychoeducational assessments (e.g., learning disorders, ADHD)
- Psychovocational assessments (e.g. occupational rehabilitation, career transition, university admission)
Dr Giannone is skilled at using a wide range of therapeutic approaches that are tailored to the unique needs of each client including:
- Cognitive behavioural therapy
- Solution-focused therapy
- Mindfulness-based therapy
- Acceptance and commitment therapy
- Humanistic and relational therapy
Outside of VPC, Dr. Giannone is an Adjunct Professor in the Counselling Psychology Program at the University of British Columbia and a Clinical Associate of the Simon Fraser University Clinical Psychology Centre. She enjoys teaching clinical practice courses and offering individual and group-based clinical supervision for Master’s and doctoral psychology trainees.
Dr. Giannone is also a passionate leader and has served as on the Board of Directors for the Canadian Psychological Association and the British Columbia Psychological Association. She holds a special interest in progressing policy, research, and psychological treatment for mental health in sport. Her award-winning research focuses on identity development and intervention among athletes and adults throughout the life span.
- College of Psychologists of BC (CPBC)
- British Columbia Psychological Association (BCPA)
- Canadian Psychological Association (CPA)
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- Canadian Sport Psychology Association (CSPA)